Hypothermia

The topic for today's post is hypothermia. As the temperature decreases, outdoor adventures and experiential education experiences do not. Hypothermia results from the core body temperature dropping seven degrees below homeostasis and becoming a threat to your life. It is best to prevent it before it happens rather than acting post occurrence. Use the layering system to prevent hypothermia before you go out. Start with a base layer that is tight fitting and non-absorbent. The base layer is the closest to the skin. The next insulating layer should keep heat in and cover the base layer with outwear. The third layer, the protective shell should keep the elements out, such as wind and water. Follow these guidelines to prepare your body for colder and harsher elements. Be safe out there!

Comments

  1. I love this blog post a lot. With the weather getting colder I fear that college students do not know how to properly dress for the weather. I am the type of person who has layers of clothing becuase I can always take off a layer once I get too warm. I do this layering system you mentioned for when I have to shovel out my drive way back home. It actually works to the point that I am sweating afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great topic of interest! I feel that many people know what hypothermia is but they do not know how to prevent it and be safe about it. I have never heard of that layering system but I will be sure to try it. I agree with trying to prevent it before it happens and usually you learn more about what to do when you get it. This was a good blog and I learned some valuable points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for informing me! I always get warned about hypothermia and what it might cause. I never knew an in depth description of it. Now that I know to be more cautious of it, I will wear more layers outside. Wearing multiple layers can save your life if you get stranded or crash in a winter storm. Just remember, you can always take off, but you can't put more layers on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lyme Disease

Water Purification and Giardia