Water Purification and Giardia

Hello! Today we are looking into water purification in outdoor adventure. There are four main ways to purify water in the outdoors; boiling, filters, UV cure, and halogen/chemical treatment. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, however, the goal is to kill bacteria in the water to avoid Giardia. Giardia is characterized by sulfur burps, explosive diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms. This ailment requires prescription antibiotics from a doctor. See the chart for further information on each method. 

Comments

  1. This is super interesting and something I definitely did not know about! Have you looked into testing Slippery Rock's water to find out why it has that funky taste? I know we have water stations that filter the water so that it is drinkable. I wonder if the university has looked into using some of these other solutions to filter and make our water cleaner! I like how you added a pros and cons list as well- it really helps lay out all your information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool information, Martha. I was aware of boiling and filter. However, I was not aware of chemical purification(although it makes sense) or UV cure. The pros and cons list was great and helps put a picture to the process. I'm really curious about the UV cure and how the purification actually takes place. Thanks for giving me something to look up in my free time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hypothermia

Lyme Disease